Monday, March 28, 2011

Level 3 and Rising?

Courtesy of the lovely Anon, here are the proposed compulsory changes for 2013 and beyond: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior%20Olympics/2013-2020Finalelementlist-March2011.pdf

Thoughts/Feelings/Reactions/Word-Like Things:
  • Is there hope in the darkness? Is the mill circle FINALLY not (completely) required?
  • I'm intrigued by this shift of the skills to the next level down. I'm not sure if I like it or dislike it, hence "intrigued." But I'd imagine that Level 3 will become a "real level," as opposed to its present "sometimes real and sometimes just for funsies," the way it is around here.
  • And for all the literature out there about the present Level 4 as a "sometimes real and sometimes just for funsies" level, we all know that's a lie. In fact, we all know that any system which promotes "fun gymnastics" will invariably have participants (a.k.a. coaches and gyms) that take it very, very seriously. I digress.
  • I also imagine that IGC will continue to gain ground in this next cycle. I mean: back handspring on beam in Level 5? I recognize that it's "optional," but we all know that those serious, serious participants will not allow their gymnasts to compete anything less.
  • Which leads me to my biggest concern: By adding another level of optional competition, are we increasing the potential for burn-out for these little phenoms who fly through compulsories?


No comments:

Post a Comment