Friday, May 28, 2010

Half-in half-out

Sure, I knew all about the USAG system. But there was much more to learn.

Our gym is small and new -- six years running now. It's more or less two rooms. On one side, the floor and assorted mats. The other side crams the tumble track, uneven bars, parallel bars, pommel horse, trampoline, foam pit, small tumbling strip, balance beams, and the vault table. The runway can't be longer than fifty feet, maybe sixty. When I started, the gym had just moved from its previous location, which had been half the size.

In 2008-2009 (I like to think in academic calendars), the team was in its second year. The new Level 5's had just finished a successful Level 4 season. There was one Level 6, and a small group of Level 4's.

They eyed me with interest when I first walked in the gym. "Hi!" several of them called loudly, waving at me. None looked much older than ten, and some were downright tiny.

I coached them occasionally at first but spent more time working with the rec classes. They already had a coach, Meredith, but she was on her way out. Sometimes she just wouldn't show up, so I'd take over and join in with John and Greg, who coached team when they too weren't coaching classes. By December, Meredith was gone completely. Now it was my turn.

Greg primarily worked with the Level 4's. So it was John and me with eight very excitable, very loud Level 5's and 6's who had the first meet of the season coming up. They knew their routines...sort of. They had their front handsprings on vault*...sort of. Oh, and a whole two of them could do a kip on bars. Sometimes.

And thus the season began.

*Unless otherwise stated, these videos are not of my gymnasts, as I can only imagine one of their parents stumbling across this blog and crying out, "Why is my child's likeness posted on the Internet?" For now, I use clips posted on YouTube by proud parents of other athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment