Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Great success

(or, as Dom might say, delusions of grandeur?)

How do you take your gymnasts' success?

Though much of this blog details the less than glorious times, once in a while my ladies win. Kelsey and Brittany form the second place-third place punch in their age group. Alejandra wins beam. Maya places in the top three on vault. Christina, Laurel, and Grace sneak onto the podium in their Level 4 glory. Jamie places even on her bad days.

"It's all because of your coaching!" my mom says.

Thanks, Ma!

But I credit my own gymnastics successes to a team of coaches: Doug, who spotted me for back handsprings on beam even as my teammates packed up to go home and the owner shut off the lights; Jody, who had the gift of making the least graceful gymnasts look lovely; Andre, who taught front tumbling and mental empowerment; Matt, who said, "Why not?" whenever I asked him to spot me for random skills like front handspring step-out beam mounts; my first coaches, who drilled in the strength and flexibility that follow me still.

Yet who's up on that beam when the judges are watching? The one sweating, controlling anxiety, fighting to stay on? The gymnast.

So of course I'd love to pat myself on the back when one of the ladies runs up to the podium. But I must also salute Greg for his nitpicking analysis of her routine, John for his patience in helping her push past fear, and above all of us, the lady herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment