Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eyes Wide Shut

Today begins the attempt to change the team's apparent destiny (re: to finish in the middle-to-bottom of the pack).

I line the girls up in front of the mirror and tell them to practice their beam routines. Not the skills, but the arm and foot positions.

"But I can't fit my cartwheel!"

"Not the skills..."

After I repeat this several times, they understand.

They move through their routines several times. I fix arm, hand, chin positions, posture. Once they're done, I say, "Now, three routines with your eyes closed."

"Wait, what?"

"With your eyes closed."

The giggles. The falling over and grabbing each other as they squeeze their eyes shut, mouths open in concentration.

Meanwhile I pace back and forth , playing the role of the Zen yoga instructor, saying, "Feel where your body is in space. Feel what your arms are doing, where your feet are." I grab one's arm to emphasize. She nearly falls over.

Hey. I have faith.

2 comments:

  1. FABULOUS! I'm curious for the results. FYI I am inquiring about becoming a judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to teach my niece. She was practicing flips and I kept telling her to stick her landings. She's all floppy and unfocused.

    Pfft... Seven year olds...

    ReplyDelete