Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Landing On My Feet (and Face, and Sternum)

Let's turn to gym nonfiction, one bio at a time.

Back in the day I was aware that "with [author name]" meant that most likely the second author had done all of the writing. The bios/autobios all ended on an upbeat note, usually leaving room for a possible comeback. Like movies that trail off for a potential sequel.

Even so, what strikes me about this book is the pain. The destruction to one's body. The excruciatingly slow rehabilitation only to be injured again. Like here:



(starts at :20)


Not to mention leaving home at age thirteen to train with Bela Karolyi, a bout with an eating disorder, struggles with confidence, and inevitably, unfulfilled dreams.
Feels like nonfiction to me.

1 comment:

  1. it caused me physical pain to watch this video. i instinctively curled into the fetal position and yelled.

    ReplyDelete