Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The art of the chuck

For anyone out there who has done junior high or high school gymnastics, you know where I'm coming from.

How did I learn a front tuck off of beam? A mom who was a volunteer coach for our middle school team stood next to the beam one practice, and we all tried it. No drills. A nice, battered four-inch mat covering the gym floor served as our landing area.

But I can't just have my kids chuck it. Right?

Ankles. Knees. More ankles. Hyperextension. I can see it all.

A few of the Bronze kids competed roundoffs and front handsprings off of beam as their dismounts this season. I'd like to teach them a real (read: salto or aerial) dismount. However, two of them already have a history of ankle injuries and one has patellar tendonitis. So I will need to proceed with caution with the fragile ones.

Which leads me to an interesting juncture: coming up with progressions for a skill that I learned in one fell swoop. Breaking down something that I can do intuitively but now need to explain. Much like teaching grammar, though hopefully more fun.

1 comment:

  1. Salto's are fancy!

    I keep showing my niece youtube videos of Level 4s. She wants to get back on the mat. Haha.

    ReplyDelete