Sunday, June 5, 2011

The other life

In keeping with the discussion of "real coaches":

The main reason I write this blog is because I enjoy coaching: the stories, the subsequent struggles, and the victories (when they happen). Why do I coach? Because I enjoy it. And that comes from seeing the kids enjoy themselves.

I believe that kids can, and should, have fun in competitive sports. Sports serve as a beautiful metaphor for many aspects of life. But your daughter's Level 4 gymnastics meet is not the culmination of her (or your) life.

I love seeing my girls win. I'm proud, they're proud, parents are happy. It's good for business and morale. But I wouldn't look forward to work at the gym if the girls were robots who focused only on gymnastics. I'm glad that they have personalities and way too much to talk about. If I remain their coach, I'm confident that they won't walk away from gymnastics emotionally traumatized.

So what about me? What are my goals? Whatever I do in my real life, I'd like to continue coaching. I'd like to learn more and teach more difficult skills. But for me, as with the kids, I need the outside life. Other dreams. Other places.

2 comments:

  1. I had my first coaching gig @ age 12. I had been competing since age 7, and I had just completed 7th grade. My elementary school invited me back to teach gymnastics to the elementary students. I had an adult who was familiar with gymnastics (I think the gym teacher), but I had my first opportunity to design and run a gymnastics program. It was so exciting! I remember that period of my life very fondly. :) For the first time I got to be on the other side of the FX mat. The students were great, and it only made me want to teach/coach more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Have you continued to coach?

    ReplyDelete