Sunday, September 19, 2010

Growing Pains

"Did you get taller?" Colleen asks.

"Thank you, Colleen," I say. "Nobody has ever asked me that."

Never mind that Colleen's brain orbits a distant star and you can't trust her judgment. Sometimes she has flashes of insight.

When I turned 21 and broke my foot, I learned that I was no longer growing. I had to face that when I imagined my "grown up self" in "grown up life" (teaching, strutting around in power suits, what-have-you), I would not be taller. As Emeline once announced, "You are not five-one."

Maybe in heels, Em. Maybe in heels.

My gymnasts are sprouting. Natalie's 5'3" and I suspect next week she'll be 5'5". Kasey and Kelsey have an inch on me. Brittany and I see eye-to-eye. Amy's shooting up the ranks.

I admit it's a little weird that the girls who turn to my opinion and corrections have to look down to receive it. I'm a little nervous when they ask for a spot. What about all those tall, buff guys working here?

That night, I see my friend Tara. The first question she asks: "Did you get shorter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment