Thursday, September 16, 2010

we've got a hot crustacean band

All right. We're doing this.

I sit the IGC girls down with a CD of music burned from YouTube. Someone, of course, asks what they need music for. The other girls fill her in.

"You don't have to use this music, but you can," I say. Translation: Please pick one of these songs and make my life easier.

They gather around the laptop. I skip the dramatic tracks and linger on the happy swing music. Granted, these girls are ten years old and on the cusp of "too cool for life." Soon they'll be on, "My life is too hard."

They listen. At the end, I ask if they liked any. "Number eight!" they all say. Arguments ensue. A game of "I'm thinking of a number between one and twenty" settles who gets number eight.

And what is that track? "Under the Sea." Not so uncool, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment