Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mind games redux

With such a history, how then do I prepare my girls to face competition?

So far my methods are traditional: Have them perform routines one-by-one in front of the team. I try to mix it up a little by bringing over another group to watch, or another coach, or the secretary. A new pair of eyes to throw them off a bit. And I don't need to worry about simulating a noisy meet environment, since the girls who watch are never silent.

Somedays I propose a deal with everyone's favorite conditional construct: if you hit this routine, then (some reward, like working on new skills or getting a drink first or what-have-you). I make it clear: Like a meet, this is your one chance.

I have to say that my girls range between decent to very, very solid in competition on beam. Some are nervous but they fight. Others fight past the nerves and move confidently.

It blew my mind a little when the commentators at USA Nationals talked about Mackenzie Caquatto's struggles on beam, how she needed to "survive" the routine. (Of course, that easily could have been commentator dramatics.) You don't expect that out of an elite gymnast at a national competition. You expect that she can handle it. But maybe she reminds us: the beam is only so wide and no matter how good you are, nothing is a given.

No comments:

Post a Comment