Friday, October 22, 2010

When in Rotterdam...

An update on the Dutch life!

The 2010 Gymnastics World Championships are well under way, and I'm presently watching the men's all-around. I must say that I'm not wildly invested, but it is delightful to watch Kochei tear it up. I'm pretty excited to see Rebecca Bross and Aliya Mustofina duke it out tonight.

Internet access hath been spotty, but I have it now!

Generalities, et. al. (a.k.a. an excuse to make a bulleted list):

  • AWESOME view of the women's team final from the press stand. The beam was directly in front and I had the pleasure of watching Alicia Sacramone make a beast save on her front pike.
  • The Italian girls all did unique, beautiful beam mounts.
  • He Kexin's bar routine is breathtaking in real life.
  • I was also able to watch the Romanian, Australian, Chinese, Russian, and USA girls train. Very cool to be "behind the scenes." The Chinese girls warm up similarly to how my girls do, minus the part where my girls do oversplits on a two-foot tall mat.
  • The crowd at the men's team final wasn't huge, but it was mighty: Chinese chants and flags rose up, to be countered by German flags. The crowd loves Fabian Hambuechen and Kochei Uchimura. Who doesn't?
  • Used my Spanish! It is mighty rusty!
  • I've learned a few Dutch words, notably the numbers one through ten and "thank you." Consider me fluent.
  • I'm finding it difficult to not speak in a fake Dutch accent.
  • If you visit the Rotterdam Burger King, look for the pet mouse that inhabits the kitchen. Mmm. Sanitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment