Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't hate; appreciate

You gotta give the girls some props.

They drive you up the wall, they complain, they cry, they inadvertently pick wedgies in the middle of their floor routines.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again: they're the ones who get out there and do the routines in front of the judges.

I've also come to believe that they take in more than they let on. We give them correction after correction. I like to throw in some pep talks. They nod, giggle a little, glance off into space. But later on, they're more precise. I hear them talking about States and how they want to win another trophy. Little things.

Last year, I used to make little things out of cardstock for them every meet: an inspirational quote coupled with a photo of a famous gymnast. They loved them, but now that the team has grown exponentially, I don't have as much time to crank such things out each meet.

So this year, my boss and I are in cahoots for a surprise to give them at States: festive flip-flops with fabric ties that match the team colors. If I know my girls, they'll be super psyched. And hey, they're the ones who have put in the work.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to find the time for my girls to tie some flip flops... I'd love to see pictures once they're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They take a long time, but they look so cozy!

    ReplyDelete