Thursday, November 4, 2010

This one's for the boys


Here's a video I took of Steve Legendre during the men's team final. Not a great day for Team USA, but this routine was certainly a highlight.

Although I follow women's gymnastics more closely, I'm decently well-versed on the men's side. If it's on TV, I will watch. I know the major players and can identify some skills without the help of the commentators.

The latter stems from a well-worn tape of the 1997 World Championships, specifically the event finals. Sandwiched between the women's events were the men, and I didn't discriminate; I watched Jury Chechi rock rings countless times. Jesus Carballo and Jani Tanskanen swung high bar over and over again.

Then there was Ivan Ivankov's disaster. Ivankov was my favorite. Mild-mannered and awesome. His piked Kovacs too close to the bar, he clipped his chin on the bar -- ouch! But he remounted and finished. It only solidified my admiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment