Wednesday, November 17, 2010

We're in a Zen State of Mind

Back in action after a mini hiatus. Let's doooo this.

"It's always a good practice when my blood pressure doesn't rise," I say to Greg. He laughs but he knows it's true.

Some practices, like tonight, are marvelous: a slew of kids achieve new skills (we had six tonight -- definitely a record), and on the whole, everyone's plugging away at their routines, paying attention, invested in the moment.

Other nights, I want to yell at everyone, get my car, and drive into the night.

Sometimes the girls are 'tudey. Or they're all "injured" (i.e. icing themselves for approximately ten minutes, then returning to full mobility) and one poor soul is left tumbling by herself. Not so motivating.

Other times it has nothing to do with the girls but everything with the surrounding environment: lots and lots of class kids, lots and lots of Parkour boys climbing and flipping anywhere. The radio playing. Small children who don't pay attention and run across the beam mats as a girl prepares to dismount. I raise my voice so the girls can hear me. They're not the loud ones. It's all the background noise that rises to a clamor.

But some nights, I pause before I snap. I tell myself to keep calm. Stay cool, let this battle pass. Let it all roll off.

No comments:

Post a Comment