Monday, November 22, 2010

To be a rock, and not to roll

My old teammate, who is also a coach these days, asked last night, "Which did you find more stressful: being a gymnast, or being a coach?"

Gymnast.

As a competitive athlete, I lived in constant fear of injury or failure. I had many wonderful, high-flying, glorious times. And many, many hours of anxiety. Most of it, I put on myself.

There are many days when I miss doing gymnastics and especially competing. But I don't miss the fear.

My gym's environment is probably the key element as to why I find coaching less stressful. We're still a new establishment. There's no long-held reputation to maintain.

Certainly, I'm nervous when it comes to parental encounters, safety, and poor performances at competitions. But I'm happy in the gym as a coach. Relaxed and alert, clapping my hands and announcing what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment