Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Calling all maestros

Today I headed off Potential Floor Disaster 2010/11. On Monday, Natalie brought in floor music that was, well, not really music. It was more like beats with some semblance of a melody. Kind of what you'd hear at a club, but not as cool.

I tried but the creation process was labored, the dance skills having nothing to do with each other, and when I woke up at 8 this morning, I immediately kneeled on the floor to revise a section I'd pondered last night. Better, but still not right.

Luckily my boss saved me. "What do you think of Natalie's music?" she asked this morning.

"I'm not a fan."

"Yeah, it sucks," she said. "Her mom hates it, too. Let's change it."

Out of all the Level 5's and 6's, Natalie deserves a good IGC season after a disastrous first year of Level 6. But I don't want to hurt her feelings.

"Do you love this floor music?" I asked her after warm-ups.

"I like it," she said, and I think she already knew what was up.

Good. "You're a really good dancer and I think we should look for a piece that shows that off more."

"Okay." She shrugged cheerfully.

At least I wasn't lying. Natalie's tall and flexible, and when she actually straightens her legs, her leaps and kicks are dynamite. You won't find those at the club.

After running through a few ideas, I remembered Bond. My boss searched iTunes and liked what she heard, Natalie agreed, and so did her mom.

Thank you, fiddling women!

Now I call upon Friends, Coaches, Music Enthusiasts: Any suggestions for floor music? I've compiled a small collection to bring on Monday and while the girls are supposedly looking for music on their own, I like to be prepared. (Emeline, I'm looking at you.)

Rock on, tiny dancers!

No comments:

Post a Comment