Thursday, August 19, 2010

La mano de Dios

Choreography is all about marking territory.

Two summers ago I made up a routine for a younger girl in the gym. Our coach usually choreographed but she was too busy. I went to grad school and later saw the girl at a competition. Our coach had changed the routine, she said, "but I liked your version better." She seemed sincere.

I've seen this many times. The tweak of a pose, the switch of arms and legs, the removal or addition of passages. You can call it revision from more experienced coaches, and surely that's so, but I call it imprint. The coach's hand at work, a hint of the preferred flavor. I bet a girl who began at one gym with one routine could rotate through several gyms and return with a routine hardly like the one she started with.

Would I do the same? I haven't been faced with it yet. So far our routines are homegrown and no girls have switched into our gym from optional or IGC levels.

You ask again: Would I do the same? Truth be told, most likely. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment