Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Obfuscators Anonymous

I have the itch to complicate. I hear complex music and I want to hit every beat, rise with every ascending violin.

It's exhausting.

The girls untangle my webs. In fact, they cut right through: "I can't do that," they'll say when I create a dance step. Or they'll look at me with a mix of panic and fear. Take it down a notch, I know.

Thing is that I hate floor routines where the gymnast moves slowly and hits a few poses while the music plays frenetically. We've all seen this. Good music deserves a good routine. But good music + awkward performance = cringe.

So I'm trying to compromise. Do-able dance that still looks decent (I hope). After they've tapped out the required tumbling and dance, there's still so much music left...

But it's easier elsewhere. I step onto the beam next to Kasey's. "Follow me," I say.

Clean poses. All the elements. Flicks of the wrist (I like to say, "Ping!"). Get off the beam.

My mind is clear: Keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment